Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Recovered & More Thrush Stuff

I am officially feeling FANTASTIC after my surgery! I am not coughing at all, which is something I didn't expect, and I do not have anymore of that annoying post-nasal drip. And I am am amazed by how much better I can breath. It was soooo worth it!

So I never did provide an update on my thrush saga. A few weeks ago, my throat starting hurting so badly I winced every time I swallowed. I started seeing the white patches on the back of my throat again, so I went back to my PCP. He said I probably just had a virus, but took a throat culture to test for strep. It came back negative, and he reiterated that it was a virus. But, he called in a prescription for Diflucan when I whined that I thought it was thrush. A few days later I had my surgery and told the anesthesiologist I was on Diflucan for oral thrush, and he took one look in my mouth and said "your diagnosis is definitely correct!"

All I can say is Thank God for my brother and sister in law. I don't know why, but none of my doctors (CF doc, my PCP, or ENT) are taking this thrush thing seriously - they completely brush it off like "engh, it's not a lung infection." I want to scream at them "HELLO! I HAVE FREAKING MOLD GROWING IN MY MOUTH AND IT WON'T GO AWAY!"

My brother in law is a doctor, and my sister in law is a nurse practitioner. They are both very smart and understand that, I have been battling thrush for three months now, it keeps going away and coming back, so obviously I need something more than a few days of diflucan to completely wipe it out. They have me on four weeks of diflucan (100 mg) - something a few nurses told me there's no way in hell that any doctor would prescribe. But my sister in law says they do that at her for chronic thrush all the time. My fingers and toes are crossed that it works!

3 comments:

Marci said...

I get thrush like that too-to combat it I take acidophilous whenever I am on antibiotics-I take a LOT and it keeps it at bay. Good luck!

Tommee Hawk said...

Wow. I'm a 35 year old male and I recently found out my mother has mild cystic fibrosis which I may have as well. I too am trying to conceive my fist child. I've also had thrush for about 2 years now and the doctors treat me like they are done listening to me. Ive had to become my own doctor and take the homeopathic route. God bless us all.

Annie said...

Hi, I found your blog while searching for "thrush" information. I've been battling it for 6 months and am at my wits end. Did yours ever clear, and if so, do you have any tips?? I can't get prego till this goes away and I've got some fertility issues, so i'm in a hurry. Thanks for your help, I'm not a weirdo, I promise. Thanks. Annie :)

 
Designed by Lena