Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Spilling the Beans

Greg and I are in Maine! We flew up here on Saturday and are spending the week visiting my family. I grew up in Maine, and I always love coming back. But this time is especially fun because we are pregnant and get to tell everyone. :D

My parents and close friends already knew, but, that was about it. So, on Sunday, we drove down to Rhode Island, (where my mom's side of the family lives), to see my grandmother and share the great news. Several of my aunts came for dinner, and they did a toast "To family." And then my mom said, "And here's to my grandchild!" Everyone got so excited and my grandmother came right over to me and hugged me and said, "Oh, Kristen! This is wonderful, wonderful news!!!" I almost burst into tears because she was so happy. This will be her 18th great grandchild, but she was as happy as though it where her first.

The other exciting part is that, I had told my mom that I was a little bummed that I wouldn't get a baby shower, because my family and close friends are all over the country, so just didn't think it would happen. Well, after congratulating us, my grandmother and aunts immediately said, "Oh! And now we get to throw a baby shower!" (I am the first girl who has gotten pregnant in a positive situation, other than a cousin they never see, so it's the first opportunity they've really had to throw a shower.) My aunt said, "We are throwing one for you, whether or not you are there. You can watch us over a webcam." So I laughed and said, "If you guys are going to throw me a shower, I think I can manage to fly up for it!"

So, yay for that! It was very fun :D I told my dad and my in-laws that they are free to share the news with their families, and I think I will probably come out on Facebook next week.

Now, the only question is when to come out at work...I am not looking forward to that. One of the few coworkers I told said I should wait as long as possible to tell work, because some of the bosses are jackasses, and she's afraid I'm going to get a lot of annoying comments, (because people in the engineering world are socially awkward). But, I'm starting to show, and I am wondering how long I am going to be able to keep hiding it. My coworker told me to wait until after Christmas! I told her I'll be 20 weeks and I have a feeling they'll know even if I don't say anything by then. LOL.

I did tell another coworker last week, and he was so sweet and very excited and said, "That is fantastic news!" But then he told me, "I was wondering what was going on. I was thinking, man, someone is hitting the holiday food a little early! It didn't even occur to me that you might be pregnant!" :/

That’s all I have for now. I probably won’t blog again until after Thursday, so I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Your comment about when to share the news at your work reminds me of the movie Knocked Up. Did you see that? It was funny that she was just huge but still trying to cover up the pregnancy until her boss said something to her. Glad you and baby are still doing good!

Lindsay said...

Aww, so exciting!

Katey said...

I'm so glad you are getting a baby shower and that you had a great time sharing the news with family in Maine! Praying for you daily!

True Companions Plus One? said...

Yay for what sounds like an awesome trip! And we need belly pics, girl!

- Marcy

 
Designed by Lena