Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Exercise, Exercise

Another time-consuming part of my CF routine is exercise. Now, I know that every person should make time for exercise, but I seriously believe (as do many CF doctors) that exercise is a critical part of CF care. The primary goal is to include lots of cardio to keep my lungs in shape, but research has also shown that patients with more muscle mass tend to be healthier. Weight bearing exercise also helps prevent the bone disease that many CF patients face.

Luckily, for me, I was an athlete in college, which got me into the routine of exercise. The only times I do not stick to my routine is when I am sick or traveling. I’ve had four different CF doctors now, and they all believe a big reason I am so healthy is my commitment to exercise. My weekly routine consists of the following:

  • A total of 2 hours of cardio, usually done in 20-35 minute sessions (this is divided between running, recumbent bike, elliptical, and Stairmaster)
  • 11 lifting moves, 3 sets of 12 for each, twice a week (chest, biceps, triceps, shoulders, lower back, upper back, 2 types of crunches, quads, hamstring, and leg press)
  • Stretching
I work out 5 days a week - usually 3 weekdays (after work), Saturday, and Sunday. I love the way working out makes my body feel (and the way it makes my body look!).

And now I must be extra diligent about sticking to my routine to prepare my body for pregnancy!

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena