Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I Have Thrush :(

I went to my Primary Care Physician (PCP) this afternoon because my throat has been hurting and I noticed some white patches on it. It turns out that taking an inhaled antibiotic (Colistin) and corticosteroid (Advair) has given me oral thrush. It's not that big of a deal, except that the thought of having a fungus growing in my mouth grosses me out to no end!

This used to happen to me when I was on 250/50 strength Advair, but it stopped when my CF doctor dropped my dosage down to 100/50. Last month, when I asked my CF doctor to calle my refills in to the mail order pharmacy, he accidentally prescribed the 250/50 for me again. My fingers were crossed that I wouldn't get thrush this time, but, no dice. The sucky part is I have to keep using the 250/100 for two more months because my insurance won't pay for the 100/50 until I use up the prescriptions they already paid for. Boo. Time to stock up on gentian violet.

(My doctor wrote me a prescription for clotrimazole, but I don’t have the time to go to the doctor to have it refilled every time I get thrush. Gentian violet is an over the counter treatment I can get at the holistic drugstore, and my doctors have confirmed it works, but it is messy, and painting it onto the back of my throat makes me gag A LOT!).

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena