Monday, June 22, 2009

Back From Vacation (Updated)

Bah! I accidentally posted this before I was done writing it! How embarrassing. So, for those of you who read my incomplete post, I've edited it and added pictures now ;)

Our vacation in Wyoming was wonderful. It was great to get away. My heart felt lighter. No obsessing over TTC. The sadness went away. Greg and I had a great time together. The weather kind-of sucked - it rained on & off every single day. But that didn't stop us from hiking 35-40 miles. I have a new love for our rain gear!

We flew into Jackson Hole on Friday evening. We stayed at an adorable bed and breakfast and had a great dinner at a local restaurant. The next day we headed up to Yellowstone. Yellowstone is so beautiful, and has so much variety! The thermal areas, the canyons, the waterfalls, the valleys, the mountains, the animals. Two days in Yellowstone was not nearly enough to experience it all.

We spent most of the first day in the Old Faithful area, checking out the hot springs and geysers - SO COOL. Here are a few pictures:

Old Faithful


Morning Glory Hot Spring

After a night of camping, we drove around the park and did lots of little hikes at a pretty darn fast pace. We saw Mammoth Hot Springs, Tower Falls, the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, Hayden Valley, the Mud Volcano/mudpots, and Yellowstone Lake. We hiked over 10 miles that day. Our favorite hike was a little trek up a Elephant Back mountain, where we got great views of Yellowstone Lake and the Tetons.

Mammoth Hot Spring

The Grand Canyon of Yellowstone


Hayden Valley


Mudpot


Yellowstone Lake (OMG! The Sun is Out!)

The next day we headed down to Grand Teton National Park. Unfortunately, most of the park required ice axes and cramp-ons to hike - something Greg and I aren't experienced with - so we hiked throw some meadows around the base of the mountain. We found a beautiful campsite on the lake that evening.

View From Our Campsite

Awesome Sunset

On our fourth day, we hiked Cascade Canyon - it was awesome and the highlight of our trip. I almost walked right into a porcupine at one point! It was in the middle of the trail, right around a bend. I gasped and he fluffed out his quills. Then he turned around and waddled away. Misadventure averted!

Here are a few pictures from the hike:

View From the Floor of Cascade Canyon, Looking Up


Mountain Pond in Cascade Canyon

That evening we stayed and dined at the Jackson Lake Lodge. The lodge was beautiful with an amazing view of the Tetons, and the food was awesome. The perfect anniversary celebration and end to our trip. We were so sad to leave the next day!

Happy Hour on the Deck at Jackson Lake Lodge

Sunset from the Lodge

7 comments:

Katey said...

I would LOVE to go to Jackson Hole. My parents spent a lot of summers out there while my Dad was in vet school. I'm glad you both had a good time!

Jess said...

I'm so glad you guys had a great vacation! I'm sure it was great to get away for a bit. Welcome back :)

Lindsay said...

Those pictures are stunning! I'm glad you all had such a great trip!

Anonymous said...

Yay for vacations!!! Those are some great great beautiful pictures! I'm so happy you guys had a great time! It really is nice to get away and leave the TTC stress at home.
~katt3233

Maeghan said...

Was wondering where the post went! So glad you two had a wonderful vacation, much deserved!

Amy said...

These pictures are beautiful. We are wanting to head out that way maybe next year. My parents are going in a couple weeks so I forwarded them your link to check out your photos.

Erin said...

yay! I'm sooo glad you had such a wonderful time! Your pictures are beautiful and I'm so glad it helped ease your mind, you deserve it!

 
Designed by Lena