Friday, August 7, 2009

Sinus Infection & Second Opinion

Greg and I have been tossing around the idea of seeing another RE since last cycle. And this cycle has made us consider it even more. The only thing that has been holding us back is $$ - our current RE is covered by insurance. The other REs in town are not. Well, we decided today that it is worth spending a few hundred dollars to go in for a consult and get a second opinion, and to find out how much treatment with another RE would cost. I already made the appointment, and we are seeing the new RE in less than three weeks!

What prompted the decision? Randomly, a visit with my ENT. As I've mentioned in previous posts from last fall, my ENT told me about his own experience with IF. He and his wife struggled with it for a decade. Well, today, I went to my ENT because my sinuses have been bothering me. He agreed that I have a sinus infection and said, "Can you take Levaquin?" to which I replied, "If it's okay to take while TTC, I can." And he said, "Oh, well, I will prescribe Ceftin instead."

Then he paused for a moment and asked, "Weren't you TTC last time I saw you?" I admitted to him that I was and that we were seeing an IF specialist, and I expressed my frustration about the lack of monitoring and told him what happened the last two cycles. He thought it was ridiculous and said, "Go see this guy." And wrote down the name of the person we were already considering.

That was enough to push me over the edge. I called Greg and told him about the conversation, and, without hesitating, he said, "Do it!" So, I did :)


Jessica said...

Good for you. Don't be afraid to ask the new RE for a discount since insurance doesn't cover anything. I asked my RE and got 50% ALL services!! It is worth a try. GL!!

Katey said...

I'm glad you are getting a 2nd opinion..will be praying it all goes well!!! I hope your sinus infection clears up soon too!

Serendipite said...

That other Dr can FRO

Maeghan said...

Good for you!! Yay for Dr. TMI :) Definitly ask if you can get any discount, when I was uninsured I found that Dr's offices would give me a discount b/c I paid cash and they didn't have ot wait weeks for processing etc. Can't wait to hear how it goes, and feel better!

Alicea (mnbride1013) said...

Good luck with the new RE!

Erin said...

Yay, I'm glad that you are getting a 2nd opinion. It must feel so good to be taking a step for yourself, especially after the two frustrating months with your last RE. I'm also SOOO happy you can get in so soon! I hope this guy is better, you deserve only the best!

niki36 said...

Hey Kristen,

I just came across your page today and was very excited. I read thru most of your posts and have had some similar experiences.

I have CF and my husband and I tried for a baby for about 10 months before getting help. I went to my OB/GYN who did some tests and then said I should see an RE. My husband is in the Army and I saw a military RE..who was awful!! He basically asked if we were sure we wanted a baby even tho I have CF. The only good thing out of it was my hubby got a SA and they did some more blood work on me. Everything looked fine. They wanted to start my on Clomid but didn't explain anything to me and they wouldn't put me on it because my husband was deploying. SO frustrating!!!! Once this deployment is over we will start actively trying again and go to a new RE.

I just wanted to say that I am sorry for all the difficulties you have gone thru, but you aren't alone and it does help to here that I am not the only one going thru this.

Good luck with your second opinion, I hope it goes well!!!!


Designed by Lena